Friday, October 26, 2012

A Letter to my Angel


Alyssa Marie Naranjo. The first time I saw you was during the first day of class in high school. We were already required to wear our full uniforms but for some reason, you were one of the three who wore civilian clothes. I never asked you about that, though. I guess it always slipped my mind when we were together. But you know why I suddenly remembered this? It’s because I realized that it was always in you to stand out.

You were never just a face in the crowd, fleeting and easily forgettable. With your smile that could brighten up anyone’s day, there was a certain gravity that drew people to you. It certainly made me want to get to know you, to be your friend. Although it took two years until we could formally meet and be friends, it’s safe to say that it was worth the wait.

During our third year of high school, both of us auditioned for Ripples, our school’s publication. That was probably the first time we had a conversation. We were both so worked up about our applications, wondering if the jurors would find our audition pieces worthy to be published under the school’s name. When the results finally came out, and we were both in, I remember us hugging and telling each other “I knew you could get in!”. From then on, you were always one of the few people who believed in me, who encouraged me and kept reassuring me. Thank you for that Yssa. You could never imagine how much that means for a pessimist and self-hater like me.

Come fourth year high school, Ripples was given to the seniors as our responsibility. Both of us, along with the editor-in-chief, Ennah and other senior editors, Francesca and Chanelle would spend late nights in the publishing house – Makinaugalingon. Though at that time I saw those nights as a burden, making me exhausted when I come home and leaving me no more energy to study, right now I realize that I will be forever indebted to those nights. Why? It was where we got to spend much time together, thus, strengthening our bond and friendship. It was where we exchanged secrets, gossiped and made fun of each other.

Do you remember when I was debating over which school I wanted to attend during college? You were the one who told me to attend UPV so that you wouldn’t be alone. You even said, in our native tongue, of course, that “Lesh, please don’t leave me!”. Albeit not being the final assessor of my university, it was surely one of the reasons why I attended UPV. But oh, the irony of the situation – it seems you were the one who left me.

I can’t be bitter over that, though. I know you’re happy up there right now. Although I’d prefer if you were still here with me, worrying about how Chem 16 will go next sem, I can’t be selfish. I know you’ll always be with me, guiding me.

But Yssa, I will do my best to fulfill the plans we made together. I will take summer classes in UP Diliman, like we both wanted to. I will never give up reaching the stage where I can don the pristine white uniform of the Public Health third years. Sasablay din ako! (I will graduate from UPV!) And our biggest dream? I promise to finish medical school and be a doctor. Hopefully I’ll get into UP PGH, Yss. Because now, what I’ll be achieving is not just for myself, it’s for you too. You are now inevitably, a part of me.

Happy seventeenth birthday, Yssa! I love you and I'll be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment