Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Grade Debate

With the posting of grades for the first semester, lately I've been reading tweets, statuses and blogposts which state that a grade is just another number or that grades don't matter in the future. And the most demeaning of all - just because you get high grades doesn't mean you're smart.

I don't get what they're trying to achieve with that. Are they trying to make those who get good grades feel bad? Don't you think they deserve what they get since they've actually worked hard for it? And it does require intelligence to understand lessons, you know.

I understand that grades don't actually define one's future. I mean, it's a known fact that Bill Gates is a college drop out, right? But we can't ignore the fact that grades do contribute in one's success rate in the future, no matter how miniscule. For example, if one wants to attend a good medical school like UP PGH, a Cum Laude title is required. Now tell me, how does one get a Cum Laude title? Yep - grades.

No, I'm not trying to say that those who get 3's or lower are dumb. You're obviously not! It's just because you're in a challenging school, or have terror teachers, or the subject is just not your forte.

My point is, you don't have to insult those who get good grades. I'd guess that most people actually want good grades. 

I agree that our lives should not revolve around grades, and it shouldn't be the only thing that matters to us.But right now as students? Education is our first priority. We shouldn't just shrug off our studies.

Why I felt the need to write this...
I try to get good grades because I want to give my parents something in return for all the sacrifices they have made for me. I want them to be proud of me. Please stop saying that grades are everything to me. They're not. But for an insecure and a pessimist like me, it actually feels good to have some sense of achievement.

This is for you, person who told me that grades are the only thing I can offer since I'm not actually smart, just diligent. I'm so sorry I can't be naturally intelligent.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't actually believe that person, Lesh. Please, you are so much better than him/her. All that he/she wants to do is bring you down but don't let them. You are better and you are naturally intelligent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ruod. That means a lot. :">

    ReplyDelete