Tuesday, October 23, 2012

So what if the dorm is haunted?

Creepy hallways, eerie sounds, numerous ghost stories... Just a few items listed in the resume of a UPV college dormitory. What with me being a scaredy-cat (I can't sleep alone without a night light), you wouldn't expect me to live in a place that is supposedly haunted. And honestly, if private dorms around UP didn't cost a lot more, I wouldn't have stayed in Balay Kanlaon. But what I expected to be a nightmare complete with white ladies and other vengeful ghouls turned out to be one of the best things that happened to me.

Here are a few reasons why I've come to love living in a dorm. Well, not just any dorm - Balay Kanlaon.

1. Free food
Food always makes dreaded things a little more tolerable. With dozens of people living with you, there's always bound to be food from someone, somewhere. Thank God for the unwritten rule of mandatory food sharing with dorm mates.

2. Extended wardrobe
When a costume is needed for a certain activity and you don't have it in your closet, chances are one of your roommates or dorm mates would have it! Ask nicely, and you will be spared from spending money to buy something you'll most probably wear only once.

3. The break haven
When you have two hours to kill before your next class, having a dorm so near to the school is a convenience. Sneaking a nap between breaks is always an option - yay for the somnolent kids like me! Plus, rest always recharges one's energy. If your next class is a major subject (or a feeling major subject), that energy is very much needed.

4. Built-in study buddies
Living with your block mates, classmates, and course mates makes studying a whole lot easier. Arguably, it may not be just a piece of cake with the intensity of the lessons, but at least you can always count on having someone to immediately explain things you didn't fully grasp in class. Plus, you can exchange ideas and immediately correct each other's errors.

5. Parental figures
One of the reasons we choose to live in dorms is to escape our parents for awhile, right? But we've got to admit that sometimes we do need guidance. With us being away from our parents, it's a good thing there are upperclassmen who live in the dorm. They actually take care of us when we're sick, and "help us with our homework". Yep, the upperclass in BK are not only there to wipe our tears that come with heartbreak, they also teach us what they know about the subjects we're taking.
*Special mention Nong David, Nong Jorge and Nong Kevin!

6. A home away from home
I admit that I don't know half the people in BK personally, but in our wing (Wing A!), I've found a new family. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm shunting my biological family, but it's nice to have found another group of people that you can trust. My wing mates, along with most of the upperclassmen, have made Balay Kanlaon my second home.

Balay Kanlaon has been a very significant part of my UP experience. I'm just glad the horror stories didn't drive me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment